Nearly all Australian workers are entitled to superannuation, and we all want a decent pot of money for post-work life.
But very few of us are likely to check our super account on a regular basis.
Because of its long-term nature, super easily falls by the wayside, only thought about with a sense of urgency as retirement nears. That long term nature also means the sooner you get in control, the greater the long-term benefits are likely to be.
So don’t put it off any longer – run through these 5 quick tips, and start to take control of your super. Your retired self will thank you.
- Check your balance. It’s your money, for your retirement, so you should know what you’ve got and what regularly comes in. Projecting forward to retirement, how much will you have?
- Check your insurance coverage. Is it adequate?
- Find out if you’ve got any lost super accounts, and consolidate them
- Make sure your fund knows your TFN (Tax File Number)
- Check your current investment strategy to make sure it is still appropriate to your needs