The following information concerns those affected by the military action in Turkey on 15 July 2016. If you are currently travelling, we urge you to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
All claims will be assessed in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance.
If you entered into your policy before 8am (AEST) Saturday 16 July 2016
If you are currently travelling or have not yet departed
- The situation in Turkey is evolving and we will monitor it closely. We firstly recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details
- If you make a claim we will assess your claim in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy. Limits, conditions and exclusions apply under your policy and for full details you should refer to the Product Disclosure Statement and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance. Please be aware that there may be exclusions which apply where your claim arises from this military action
If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) Saturday 16 July 2016
- Claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time your period of cover commenced, which is generally from the time you purchased your policy, are not covered. If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) Saturday 16 July 2016 we would expect that this was done with an awareness of the military action in Turkey. For these policies, we will not, to the extent permitted by law, pay any claim caused by or arising from or in any way connected with the military action in Turkey
What next steps should you take?
- As mentioned above, contact your travel agent or provider as soon as possible
- If you are incurring additional expenses, you should take all reasonable steps to minimise your expenses and this includes rearranging your journey where possible. By reasonable we mean appropriate and consistent—for example if you have been using two star or budget accommodation on your trip to date, then we advise that the replacement accommodation you seek should be of a similar standard
- All claims will be assessed in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your particular circumstances
- You will need to submit all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit all documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey
- Any compensation and/or refunds you receive from a third party (e.g. airline) for transport, food or accommodation will be deducted from any settlement if your claim is accepted
- Finally, to help Australians avoid difficulties overseas, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) maintains travel advisories for more than 160 destinations overseas via the Smart Traveller website. DFAT’s travel advice provides accurate, up-to-date information about the risks Australians might face overseas, assisting you to make well-informed decisions about whether, when and where to travel. We recommend that you stay up-to-date with its destination specific travel advisories for the country of your destination as your travel insurance cover may be affected if you travel to high risk areas or situations
- We will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your particular circumstances
If you have any questions or queries, please call 24 hour Emergency Assistance on +61 7 3305 7499 – you can reverse charge the call.
For general policy or claims enquiries, please call 1800 134 419 – Monday to Friday during business hours.