FAQs - Virgin Car Insurance
- Do it when it suits you 24/7
- It can be up to 40% faster than doing it over the phone
- Price Saver. You can receive 15%* off when you purchase Price Saver online.
- Price Promise. Available for those who prefer to speak to one of our friendly Customer Care team. Please keep in mind that what you're covered for is different to our Price Saver, for this product we promise our price will stay the same in year 2, if your situation stays the same.
To see what cover is included in each product, view our comparison table.
- restricting drivers by age
- choosing a higher excess
- installing a combined alarm and immobiliser to reduce the risk of car theft.
- Third Party, Fire and Theft cover gives you protection against damage caused by your vehicle to another's property, plus cover should your car catch fire or if someone steals it. It's for cars valued at less than $10,000 and offers limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.
- Third Party Property cover gives you protection against damage that's been caused by your car to someone else's property, and limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.
- carrying passengers or other people's goods for payment
- paid driving tuition
- hiring the car to other people
- restrict drivers by age (which will reduce the premium)
- increase your excess
- reduce your windscreen excess
- apply for a 'no claims discount'
Car insurance premiums are calculated based on the level of risk our insurance underwriter, Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd (AGIC), associate with you and your car. There are multiple factors that differentiate you and someone else that will contribute to the assessment of that risk.
When looking at risk, factors considered include the make and model of the car, the age of the driver/s, the driver's history, frequency of claims and where you live. (For example, not all insurers treat each suburb the same. In addition, where you park the car at night will often affect your premium.)
AGIC's underwriting is more comprehensive than most other car insurers, which allows them to offer competitive rates to Australian drivers.
To assist you in collecting the relevant information about an accident, we’ve created a step by step Crash Log. Remember to keep it handy in your glovebox, just in case.
- For your convenience we can organise a repairer and manage the process on your behalf. We may request that your car be made available for inspection at a location nominated by us (possibly at one of Auto & General's assessment centres).
- Or you can choose your own repairer. Note that should our assessor consider the quote to be less than competitive or that the repairs may not be completed to a satisfactory standard, we reserve the right to authorise an alternative repairer chosen by us or to pay you the reasonable cost of a satisfactory repair.
If you have NCD protection with us for two consecutive claim-free years, you qualify for a Rating 1 for life (which means all car insurance claims have no impact on your NCD for as long as you have NCD protection). You won’t lose any NCD on renewal following a window glass claim, or if the other car in a collision is entirely at fault and the driver is identified to us. For other claims, your NCD may be reduced at renewal.
- you hold a maximum five years no claim discount
- you haven’t had an at-fault claim in the past two years.
- you're replacing or taking over a company car
- you can provide a letter from your employer stating how many years you‘ve been driving the company car without a claim.
- Cover is restricted to drivers 25 years old and over
- Your car isn’t used for business use
- Your spouse/partner is listed on the policy