VIRGIN MONEY CHILDHOOD DREAM COMPETITION
11 Oct 2011
To celebrate its first birthday in Australia in July 2010, Virgin Money launched a competition to give one lucky Australian a chance to fulfil the ultimate childhood dream; a trip to space on Virgin Galactic.
THE TRIP OF A LIFETIMEThe competition:
- Virgin Money launched the competition to the nation in July and over 7,000 Aussies entered
- To enter, each contestant was asked to answer the question “In 25 words or less, what was your childhood dream”
- This was the only competition of its kind in the world and a unique prize for the winning Aussie
- The opportunity to travel to space with Virgin Galactic in 2015 including:
- The space ticket estimated at around US $200,000
- 7 nights 4-star accommodation in New Mexico (the operating base for Virgin Galactic).
- 2 return flights to New Mexico and airport/accommodation transfers
- In addition, the winner will be flown to New Mexico for the launch of the Virgin Galactic spaceport, where he will be congratulated by Sir Richard Branson in person!
- The preparation for the flight takes two days:
- Details about the flight itself:
- Virgin Money Australia announced the winner today; 22 year old Tim Moran from Double Bay
- Tim’s winning answer: Visualise Incredible Realities Granted I Never Missed Out-on New-opportunities EverydaY (VIRGIN MONEY ACRONYM) - the world was my oyster!
Winner Tim Moran says; “I am over the moon, literally! I was so thrilled when Virgin Money told me I had won the Childhood Dreams competition and still can’t quite believe it. I have dreamt of going to space as a boy, and thanks to Virgin Money I’m doing to actually do it!”
Matt Baxby, Managing Director of Virgin Money Australia, “We are thrilled to be able to offer one of our Virgin Money customers such a unique experience, and Tim’s entry was clever and considered. Rewarding customers is at the heart of our business and we are excited to fulfill Tim’s childhood dream. For fellow Australians with the same dream, the Virgin Flyer Credit Card is the only card in the world where you can earn Velocity Points to fly into space, putting space travel in the reach of others.”
In conjunction with the competition, Virgin Money launched brand new research - the Virgin Money Childhood Dreams Index - which has revealed the nation’s dreams and ambitions.
- Space travel dominated childhood dreams - 50% of all Aussie men dreamt of going to space when they were boys with nearly one in five (23%) girls dreaming the same.
- 40% of Aussies would still like to achieve their childhood dream, with more men (43%) than women (36%) keeping their dream alive.
- Over three quarters of Australians (79%) have not fulfilled their childhood dreams.
+61 (0)2 8249 8045
+61 (0)423 882 097
All other enquiries
Virgin Money Head Office
(02) 8249 8000
Media release archives
Visit our media release archives.