We want you to be able to travel far and wide, that’s why we cover a wide range of pre-existing medical conditions. So you can be sure that wherever you go, you're in excellent hands. Please also note that to be eligible you must be aged 74 years or under at the time the policy is issued.
We assess a range of medical conditions to evaluate whether we can provide cover for it. Yours may fall into one of the three following categories.
Conditions automatically covered at no extra cost
There are 36 pre-existing medical conditions we may automatically cover at no extra cost.
If your pre-existing medical condition is in the following list, cover may be provided. However, you must not have been hospitalised with it (this includes day surgery or emergency-department attendance) in the 24 months prior to the date your policy is issued.
We don’t require any more information if your pre-existing medical condition is in this list:
- asthma, provided:
- you are under 60 years of age, and
- you have no other lung disease;
- carpal tunnel syndrome;
- cleft palate;
- cochlear implant;
- coeliac disease;
- congenital adrenal hyperplasia;
- congenital blindness;
- congenital deafness;
- dengue fever;
- diabetes (type 1 or type 2), or glucose intolerance provided:
- you were first diagnosed over 6 months ago; and
- you had no complications in the last 12 months; and
- you had no kidney, eye or neuropathy complications or cardiovascular disease; and
- you are under 50 years of age;
- dry eye syndrome;
- Dupuytren’s contracture;
- ear grommets, if no current infection;
- gastric reflux (GORD);
- hay fever;
- hiatus hernia, if no surgery planned;
- hormone replacement therapy;
- hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol), provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes;
- hyperlipidaemia (high blood lipids), provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes;
- hypertension, provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes;
- hypothyroidism, including Hashimoto's disease;
- macular degeneration;
- Meniere's disease;
- tinnitus; or
- single uncomplicated pregnancy, up to and including 23 weeks, not arising from services or treatment associated with an assisted reproduction program including but not limited to, in vitro fertilisation (IVF)
Conditions not automatically covered requiring assessment
If your pre-existing condition isn’t included in the list above, you can still apply to have your condition covered via the following methods:
Whichever path you choose, you’ll just need to answer some questions about your condition. Based on your answers, we'll let you know if we can cover you and if an additional premium applies.
Conditions we won’t cover
If you have any of the medical conditions/circumstances listed below, unfortunately no cover will be provided:
- you are awaiting, or you have had, an organ transplant;
- you have been given a terminal prognosis with a life expectancy of under 24 months;
- you require home oxygen therapy, or you require oxygen for the journey;
- you have AIDS or an AIDS defining illness; or
- you have chronic renal failure which is treated by haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis
If you're not eligible for cover for your pre-existing medical condition, you won’t be able to purchase a Comprehensive, Basic, Multi-Trip or Domestic travel insurance policy but you can still take up our Non-Medical Plan.
If you’re unsure about whether your condition is covered, it's best to check via the following:
As always, you can rest easy with Virgin Money. Our partnership with Allianz Global Assistance proves it. They’re a leader in providing global emergency medical assistance, so you’ll always be in the safest of hands.
Why Virgin Travel Insurance?
- 24x7 Emergency Assistance
- Great Choice of Additional Options
- Cover Plans for all Travellers
- Discounts for Couples