What is home building insurance? 

Building insurance is a type of home insurance which covers your residential building for financial costs associated with unforeseen events.

These include fires, theft, storms, other natural disasters and more. Home building insurance with Virgin Money will cover you for temporary accommodation, debris removal, modifications to your home and so much more.

Have peace of mind knowing the home you’ve worked so hard to build is covered forlife’s unscripted circumstances.

Why Virgin Home Building Insurance?

What's in it for me?

Actually affordable

Save 15% on your first year's premium when you purchase Virgin Home Building Insurance online.1


Quick and easy

Applying for your home building insurance has never been easier. Get cover in minutes with our easy online application process

Flexible for you

Find affordable and flexible cover options to go with your home building insurance, with 21 day cooling off period.4

Really reliable

You can lodge an insurance claim online or over the phone 24/7. 

Award winning

We must be doing something right, because our home and contents insurance just won The Mozo Experts Choice award for exceptional value5, 5 years’ running.

Easy access 24/7

Manage your building insurance policy online with the Virgin Insurance Hub.

What's covered?

What's covered with your home building insurance? 

Your home is likely to be one of the most valuable things in in your life. That’s why our home building insurance offers cover for life’s unscripted moments, like:

  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
  • Breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
  • Storm and rainwater
  • Lightning
  • Earthquake or Tsunami
  • Escape of liquid (e.g. pipes, drains, etc)
  • Impact at home (e.g. fallen tree/branch)


Cover limits
Repair or replacement of your home building


Repair or replacement of your home contents
Legal liability
Up to $20 million
Temporary accommodation
Up to 10% of sum insured, up to 12 months
Debris removal and extra rebuilding costs
Up to 10% of sum insured
Funeral expenses Up to $7,000
Modifications to home Up to $5,000
Mortgage discharge costs Up to $750
Contents temporarily removed  
Contents lost or damaged in transit  
Replacement of locks and stolen keys
Unattached equipment  
Visitors’ uninsured contents  
Food spoilage  

This is a brief summary only. Conditions apply. Full details are contained in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Optional covers

Add-ons to your home building insurance policy 

Not every home is built the same and not every circumstance is the same, so why should your cover be? We offer optional extras so you can choose what matters to you, allowing you to tailor your building insurance cover to you. Build your cover with our optional extras:

  • Flood Cover#
  • Motor Burnout Cover
  • Accidental Damage Cover
  • Sum Insured Safeguard

# The addition of Flood Cover to a policy is subject to our underwriting criteria.

For full details on Virgin’s building insurance please see the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Want to add extra cover on your home building insurance policy? 

Interested in building a policy more tailored to your home? You might consider one or more of these optional covers to add to your building insurance policy. To add these to your policy, simply get an online home building insurance quote and then add your desired cover in the “Optional Cover” section.

Get a home building insurance quote.

Need to make a claim on your building insurance? 

Take the stress out of making a claim with our simple and easy claims process. When you make a claim on your home building insurance, rest assured knowing our dedicated team will be more than happy to assist 24/7.

Learn more about making a claim on your building insurance.


  • How much is building insurance?

    The cost of your home building insurance policy will depend on a variety of factors. These factors can include: the value of your property, the location of your property and your proximity to disaster-prone areas.

    Get a quick quote from Virgin Money insurance for a home building insurance policy

  • What does building insurance cover?

    Building insurance with Virgin Money covers a wide range of incidents that may happen, and the damage that those events can cause. Such events include fires, natural disasters, theft and more.

    Should one of these occur, Virgin’s home building insurance will cover repairs or replacements to your building, temporary accommodation, debris removal and more. 


  • Building insurance vs home insurance, what’s the difference?

    Building insurance insurers you against the loss or damage to the structure of your home, as well as fixtures including kitchens and bathrooms. Home insurance can include the cover of building insurance, but can also include contents insurance, which is any belongings and valuables contained within the home.