FAQs - Virgin Car Insurance


Taking out a policy
  • Q. Why buy online?

    A. You'll get a great 15%1 discount on your first year's premium and there are many other benefits when purchasing car insurance online:

    1. Do it when it suits you 24/7
    2. It can be up to 40% faster than doing it over the phone
  • Q. How long does it take until I'm covered?

    A. You can get a quote and buy online - 24/7. In most cases you can be insured once you complete a purchase either online or over the phone. To speed up the process please have on hand details of your car and driving record. You can be insured the day you take out a policy, or choose a later date for your cover to begin.

  • Q. I've got a quote, but I'm having trouble buying online, what should I do?

    A. Please call 1800 887 707 with your Quote Reference Number and we’ll give you a hand. We’re here to help Mon to Fri 8am to 5pm, Sat 8am to 2pm (AEST). Please note that we may have different offers available online and via our contact centre.

  • Q. How can I pay for my car insurance securely online?

    A. For your convenience and security we offer a number of different ways to pay for your insurance online. You can pay with your Visa, Mastercard or American Express or alternatively you can choose to pay via Direct Debit from your Bank, Credit Union or Building Society account.

  • Q. What happens to my discount in the 2nd year?

    A. The 15% online discount applies to Virgin Car Insurance Price Saver only in Year 1.

  • Q. Are there any ways I can adjust my premium?

    A. We can help you get the right price with a policy that best suits your needs. You can:

    • restrict drivers by age (which will reduce the premium)
    • increase your excess
    • reduce your windscreen excess
    • apply for a 'no claims discount'

    If you’re a good driver and we have all the right information about you to evaluate your risk level effectively, you can also expect to pay lower premiums. (For all the detail, see our Product Disclosure Statement).

  • Q. How is the cost of car insurance – the premium – calculated?

    A. Car insurance premiums are calculated based on the level of risk' the insurance underwriters (Auto & General) associate with you and your car. There are many factors that differentiate you from someone else which is taken into account to assess 'risk'.

    Risk is affected by the make and model of the car, the age of the driver/s, the driver's history, whether the car is under finance, frequency of claims and where you live. (For example, not all insurers treat each suburb the same. In addition, where you park the car at night will often affect your premium.)

    Learn more about Virgin Money’s car insurance

General cover & No Claim Discount
  • Q. What am I covered for with comprehensive cover?

    A.  Virgin Car Insurance has two products offering Comprehensive cover:

    1. Price Saver. You can receive 15% off on your first year's premium when you purchase online1.
    2. Price Promise. Available for those who prefer to speak to one of our friendly Customer Care team. Please keep in mind that what you're covered for is different to our Price Saver, for this product we promise our price will stay the same in year 2, if your situation stays the same.

    To see what cover is included in each product, view our comparison table.

  • Q. What's the difference between Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party Property?

    The following information is a summary only. See our Product Disclosure Statement for all the detail plus the full terms & conditions.

    • Comprehensive cover means you're protected against all manner of accidents, whether you or someone else is at fault. Your car is also protected should someone break in, steal it, vandalise it or set it alight.
    • Third Party Fire and Theft cover gives you protection against damage caused by your vehicle to another's property, plus cover should your car catch fire or if someone steals it. It's for cars valued at less than $20,000 and offers limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.
    • Third Party Property cover gives you protection against damage that's been caused by your car to someone else's property, and limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.

    Ready to go? Get an online quote

  • Q. Do you cover my car for business use?

    A.  Yes, if you've chosen business use cover, however we don't cover business use for:

    • carrying passengers or other people's goods for payment
    • paid driving tuition
    • unpaid driving tuition of a person who is excluded on the Insurance Certificate by name or age, or a household member that is not listed on the Insurance Certificate
    • hiring the car to other people, including under peer to peer car sharing arrangements
  • Q. What's the difference between 'market value' and 'agreed value'?

    A.  Market value is the value of the car at the time of the loss or damage, taking into account factors such as the make, model, age, kilometres travelled and overall condition. Agreed value is the amount we agree to insure your car for during each term of insurance. The value may change each time you renew the policy.

  • Q. What is a no claims discount and how does it affect premiums?

    A. It's a discount applied to reduce your premium that's calculated on your years of driving experience and claims record. As you gain more years of claim-free driving you receive a discount from the full-priced premium until it reaches a maximum discount (also known as Rating 1). This is because we believe you’re less likely to make a claim than a less experienced driver or a driver with a poor driving record. 

    Full details on how your No Claims Discount works is available in our Car Insurance Premium, Excess and Discount Guide here.

  • Q. What happens to my NCD if I make a claim?

    A. You won’t lose any NCD on renewal following a window glass claim, if the damage was caused by severe weather (e.g. hail), or if the other car in a collision is entirely at fault and the driver is identified. For other claims, your NCD may be reduced at renewal.

  • Q. What are the best ways I can save money on car insurance with Virgin Money?

    A.  There are several ways to make your premium more affordable. These include:

    • restricting drivers by age
    • choosing a higher excess
  • Q. What payment plan options do you offer?

    A.  You can choose to spread the cost of your insurance by paying in monthly instalments instead of one bulk sum. If you choose to pay by the month, please make sure payments happen on time (or your policy may be cancelled without notice).

  • Q. What personal effects are covered?

    A.  Cover for personal effects is different across our Comprehensive cover policies. Check out our Compare Cover types page to find out applicable cover limits. Please read our Product Disclosure Statement for all the detail.

  • Q. Who is the underwriter for Virgin Car Insurance?

    A.  Our policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, an Australian insurance company regulated by APRA and a member of the Insurance Council of Australia. They provide insurance solutions for millions of policy holders worldwide.

  • Q. Do you subscribe to an industry code?

    A. Our insurance is underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited (Auto & General) who is a member of the Insurance Council of Australia and a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice (the Code). By signing up to the Code, they promise to act in an open, honest and fair manner in all their dealings with customers.

    Auto & General and Virgin Money are committed to helping our customers better understand their rights when buying insurance, making claims, resolving a complaint, or experiencing financial hardship.

    General insurers’ compliance with the code is monitored and enforced by an independent body called the Code Governance Committee (CGC). Customers can report suspected breaches to the CGC, which then investigates and, if necessary, agrees with the insurer on corrective measures within set timeframes.

    Any failure to correct a breach can lead to CGC sanctions, which are binding on insurers.

    A copy of the code can be accessed by visiting http://codeofpractice.com.au/

  • Q. What is your Duty not to make a misrepresentation? 

    What you need to tell us

    We will ask you questions:

    • when you apply for insurance
    • before we agree to renew, extend, vary or reinstate your policy.

    Your answers will help us decide whether to insure you, and on what terms. Each question we ask you is important. Please answer each one fully, accurately and honestly.

  • Q. Your duty to us

    You have a legal duty under the Insurance Contracts Act to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to us. This duty first arises when you enter into an insurance contract with us.

    Before we agree to renew, extend, vary or reinstate your policy, we may remind you of your previous answers to our questions. Your duty extends to telling us whether any of this information has changed.

  • Q. Failing in your duty can seriously affect your cover

    If you fail in your duty, we may, where permitted by law, do either or both of these:

    • cancel your policy
    • reduce the amount we pay you if you make a claim.

    If your failure is fraudulent, we may refuse to pay a claim and treat the policy as if it never existed.

Managing your policy
Claims and excess
  • Q. I’ve had an accident – what should I do?

    A. To help you collect the relevant information in the event of an accident, we’ve created a step by step crash log. Remember to keep it handy in your glovebox, just in case.

    If you’ve had an accident, and assuming you’re physically able to, you should:

    • Make sure you and anyone else involved is safely off the road.
    • Call 000 if there are injuries or hazards.
    • Get the details of the other drivers – name, address, contact number and registration number – and give them yours (it’s a legal requirement; if anyone refuses, call the police).
    • Try to get the names, addresses, and contact numbers of any witnesses.
    • If possible, take photographs at the accident scene.
    • If your vehicle is un-driveable, call us on 1800 662 884 to organise a tow or, if you prefer, book your own.

    Make a claim


  • Q. How do I make a claim?

    A. To assist you in collecting the relevant information about an accident, we’ve created a step by step Crash Log. Remember to keep it handy in your glovebox, just in case.

  • Q. What happens if my car is stolen?

    A. Try not to panic. The first thing you should do is report it to the police and ask for an incident number. If you have Comprehensive cover or Third Party Property, Fire & Theft, call us on 1800 662 884 with the incident number and we’ll make a start on your claim to have it sorted as soon as possible.

  • Q. Who repairs my car?

    A. For your convenience, we may appoint a repairer from our repair network to conduct the repairs, and consult with the repairer to determine the most suitable method of repairs based on the damage to the car.

    Or, if you have purchased the Choice of Repairer option you may choose to nominate your preferred repairer. Please note that should our assessor consider a repairer’s quotation is not competitive, or that the repairs would not be completed to a satisfactory standard, we may decide not to authorise repairs and offer you the option to have the car repaired by an alternative repairer chosen by us, or pay you the reasonable cost to satisfactorily repair the car.

  • Q. Does Virgin Insurance have a repairer network?

    We have a national network of around 180 contracted repairers who can assess your car’s damage and/or repair it, as well as seven dedicated assessment centres.

    To view the repair network please click here

  • Q. Will I get a hire car while my car is being repaired or if it is stolen?

    A. Our Comprehensive cover automatically includes a hire car if your car is stolen or if it is involved in a no fault accident.

    If we accept your claim for a no fault accident or theft of your car, we will provide you with a hire car that meets your needs.

    OPTIONAL TO INCLUDE: If you purchase the Accident Hire Car option, after we accept your at fault claim we will arrange for a hire car that meets your needs for you to use until the car is repaired, your claim paid, or for a maximum of 14 days, whichever occurs first.

  • Q. If I make an insurance claim, what will my excess be?

    A. You’ll be required to pay:

    • Your Basic Excess
      ...as well as any additional excesses that apply, namely:

    • driver is under 24 years of age inclusive
    • driver has not held a full or open Australian licence for two or more years
    • driver is not listed on your insurance certificate

    The dollar amounts of your Basic Excess and the additional excesses are shown on your insurance certificate and can also be viewed in your online account.


  • Q. Can I change my excess?

    A. Yes – you can change your Basic Excess at any time. If you increase your excess, we’ll lower your premium (and vice-versa).

  • Q. When do I pay the excess?

    A. If an excess is applicable to your claim and your car is repairable, we’ll ask you to pay the excess before the repairs start.

    If your vehicle is written off, we’ll deduct the excess from the final settlement amount we pay you.

  • Q. How can my Insurer assist me if I am experiencing vulnerability?

    A. Our insurance partner, Auto & General may be able to assist you.

    • If you are experiencing domestic or family violence and wish to seek assistance with respect to your policy from the Insurer, please click here for the Insurer’s Family Violence Policy. 
    • If you wish to speak to a consultant about your situation, please call 1800 724 678.  Please note our consultants may be able to make any changes required to your policy information and provide you with useful information which may assist you with your situation. 
    • Your Insurer may also provide you access to several professional organisations who offer support beyond insurance. Please click here for more information.
  • Q. Do you offer support for paying a car insurance excess?

    A. When lodging a claim, we encourage you to tell us if you need support in paying your excess. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for Financial Hardship support.  An overview of the steps to apply for financial hardship support provided by our insurance partner (Auto & General) are outlined here.