FAQs - Virgin Car Insurance
Q. Why buy online?
A. You'll get a great 15%1 discount on car insurance and there are many other benefits when purchasing car insurance online:
- Do it when it suits you 24/7
- It can be up to 40% faster than doing it over the phone
Q. How long does it take until I'm covered?
A. You can get a quote and buy online - 24/7. In most cases you can be insured once you complete a purchase either online or over the phone. To speed up the process please have on hand details of your car and driving record. You can be insured the day you take out a policy, or choose a later date for your cover to begin.
Q. I've got a quote, but I'm having trouble buying online, what should I do?
A. Please call 1800 887 707 with your Quote Reference Number and we’ll give you a hand. We’re here to help Monday to Friday (8.00am-8.00pm EST) and Saturday (8.00am-5.00pm EST). Please note that we may have different offers available online and via our contact centre.
Q. How can I pay for my car insurance securely online?
A. For your convenience and security we offer you two different ways to pay for your insurance online. You can pay with either a Visa or Mastercard or alternatively you can choose to pay via online Direct Debit from your Bank, Credit Union or Building Society account.
Q. What happens if I don't disclose information about my driving record, past accidents or claims?
A. This is called non-disclosure and affects an insurer's ability to accurately assess your risk or calculate the correct premium. It can lead to a claim being paid only in part, or not paid at all and/or your policy being cancelled.
Q. What happens to my discount in the 2nd year?
A. The 15% online discount applies to Virgin Car Insurance Price Saver only in Year 1.
- Q. Are there any ways I can adjust my premium?
- Q. Why might I have a different premium to other people?
Q. What am I covered for with comprehensive cover?
A. Virgin Car Insurance has two products offering Comprehensive cover:
- Price Saver. You can receive 15%1 off when you purchase Price Saver online.
- Price Promise. Available for those who prefer to speak to one of our friendly Customer Care team. Please keep in mind that what you're covered for is different to our Price Saver, for this product we promise our price will stay the same in year 2, if your situation stays the same.
To see what cover is included in each product, view our comparison table.
- Q. How do I know which comprehensive cover I have?
Q. How can I update my payment details?
A. You can monitor and update payment details when you login to the Virgin Insurance Hub.
Q. How do I register for the Virgin Insurance Hub?
A. Once you receive your Policy document go to Manage your policy then Register to the Virgin Insurance Hub to create your username and password.
Q. Why doesn't the Virgin Insurance Hub accept my email as a username?
A. If you have more than one policy with us, it will only accept your email as a username once. You will then need to use your policy number as the login.
Q. Can I change my login details for the Virgin Insurance Hub?
A. Yes, simply login to the Virgin Insurance Hub then click on 'Update Login Details'.
Q. How can I add or change a policy?
A. (for existing member only) Simply login to the Virgin Insurance Hub to add, change and update your policy details including excess options and more.
Q. What are the best ways I can save money on car insurance with Virgin Money?
A. There are several ways to make your premium more affordable. These include:
- restricting drivers by age
- choosing a higher excess
- installing a combined alarm and immobiliser to reduce the risk of car theft.
Q. What payment plan options do you offer?
A. You can choose to spread the cost of your insurance by paying in monthly instalments instead of one bulk sum. If you choose to pay by the month, please make sure payments happen on time (or your policy may be cancelled without notice).
Q. What's the difference between Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Third Party Property?
A. The following information is a summary only. See our Product Disclosure Statement for all the detail plus the full terms & conditions. Comprehensive cover means you're fully protected against all manner of accidents, whether you or someone else is at fault. Your car is also protected should someone break in, steal it, vandalise it or set it alight.
- Third Party, Fire and Theft cover gives you protection against damage caused by your vehicle to another's property, plus cover should your car catch fire or if someone steals it. It's for cars valued at less than $10,000 and offers limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.
- Third Party Property cover gives you protection against damage that's been caused by your car to someone else's property, and limited cover if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is their fault.
Ready to go? Get an online quote.
Q. Do you cover bikes, vans, caravans or boats?
A. We do cover some vans, but we do not cover bikes, caravans or boats.
Q. Do you cover my car for business use?
A. Yes, if you've chosen business use cover, however we don't cover business use for:
- carrying passengers or other people's goods for payment
- paid driving tuition
- hiring the car to other people
Q. What's the difference between 'market value' and 'agreed value'?
A. Market value is the reasonable cost to replace your car with one of the same make, model, age and condition at the time of loss or damage. It doesn't include any allowance for warranty, stamp duty, transfer costs or dealer profit. Agreed value is the amount we agree to insure your car for during each term of insurance. The value may change each time you renew the policy.
- Q. What personal belongings are covered?
Q. Who is the underwriter for Virgin Car Insurance?
A. Our policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, an Australian insurance company regulated by APRA and a member of the Insurance Council of Australia. They provide insurance solutions for millions of policy holders worldwide.
- Q. How do I make a claim?
- Q. What happens if I'm in an accident that isn’t my fault?
Q. What happens if my car is stolen?
A. Try not to panic. The first thing you should do is report it to the police and ask for an incident number. If you have Comprehensive cover or Third Party Property, Fire & Theft, call us on 1800 662 884 with the incident number and we’ll make a start on your claim to have it sorted as soon as possible.
Q. Who repairs my car?
A. It's up to you:
- For your convenience we can organise a repairer and manage the process on your behalf. We may request that your car be made available for inspection at a location nominated by us (possibly at one of Auto & General's assessment centres).
- Or you can choose your own repairer. Note that should our assessor consider the quote to be less than competitive or that the repairs may not be completed to a satisfactory standard, we reserve the right to authorise an alternative repairer chosen by us or to pay you the reasonable cost of a satisfactory repair.
Q. Will I get a courtesy car while mine's being repaired or stolen?
A. Our Comprehensive cover doesn't automatically include a courtesy car, but you can buy our accident car hire option. How it works is that after we agree to pay your claim and you've made the car available for repairs, we'll arrange for a compact hire car until your car is fixed or your claim settled (not exceeding 14 days). If we pay a claim for theft of your car, we'll reimburse your reasonable cost of hiring a similar car until the car is recovered or your claim is paid, or for a maximum period of 14 days (whichever happens first).
Q. Do I need to report any accidents to the police?
A. Reporting requirements vary by State. Your local traffic authority will have more information.
- Q. What's a no claims discount (NCD) and how does it affect premiums?
Q. What's the difference between a Rating 1, no claim discount (NCD) and no claim bonus (NCB)?
A. These are a scale insurers use to rank your driving history and risk. Rating 1, NCD and NCB all refer to a discount applied to the full premium.
Q. Will I lose my NCD if I have a car accident?
A. You can protect your Rating 1 (maximum no claims discount) by selecting our NCD protection option. This allows you to have one claim per 12-month policy period, or up to two claims in three years without affecting the rating.
If you have NCD protection with us for two consecutive claim-free years, you qualify for a Rating 1 for life (which means all car insurance claims have no impact on your NCD for as long as you have NCD protection). You won’t lose any NCD on renewal following a window glass claim, or if the other car in a collision is entirely at fault and the driver is identified to us. For other claims, your NCD may be reduced at renewal.
Q. Can I protect my no claims discount?
A. Yes, it may be protected for a small additional premium, provided:
- you hold a maximum five years no claim discount
- you haven’t had an at-fault claim in the past two years.
This protection will allow you to make one claim during the current period of insurance, or two claims in a three-year period without affecting your NCD.
Q. I've been insured on a company car - can I get a no claims discount?
A. Yes. We can give you a no claims discount if:
- you're replacing or taking over a company car
- you can provide a letter from your employer stating how many years you‘ve been driving the company car without a claim.
(Your no claims discount will be based on the number of consecutive years you’ve been driving the car without a claim.)
Q. I'm getting a second car - does my no claims discount apply to that too?
A. We’ll give you a free NCD on your second car that matches the NCD on your other vehicle provided the following:
- Cover is restricted to drivers 25 years old and over
- Your car isn’t used for business use
- Your spouse/partner is listed on the policy